Crockpot Chicken Parmesan is an easier, hands-off version of one of our Italian-American favorites made with tender chicken breasts coated in seasoned breadcrumbs, then smothered with savory marinara sauce and melted cheese. Serve over spaghetti with a crisp green salad on the side for a no-fuss dinner that the whole family will love!
Are you looking for an easy and delicious chicken dish that the entire family will enjoy? This Crockpot Chicken Parmesan recipe is sure to please!
It's simple to prepare and the crockpot does all the hard work for you. Plus, it's a great way to use up extra pasta sauce that you might have on hand.
Crockpot chicken parmesan is a great way to make a tasty and effortless chicken dish. The chicken is coated in a crispy bread crumb coating and Parmesan cheese, then cooked in the crockpot with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
This recipe is also perfect for dinner after a busy day. So why not give this Crockpot Chicken Parmesan recipe a try the next time you're looking for a simple and uncomplicated meal?
This easy and delicious Crockpot Chicken Parmesan will be a family favorite in no time! The best part is that it only takes a few minutes to prepare, and the crockpot does all the hard work for you.
Crockpot Chicken Parmesan is a quick and easy chicken meal that the whole family will love. This dish is perfect for a busy night because all you have to do is throw everything in the crockpot and let it cook.
The chicken comes out tender and juicy, and the cheese and tomato sauce give it a delicious flavor. Serve this Crockpot Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti noodles or with a side of garlic bread and green salad for a perfect balanced meal any night of the week!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- Breadcrumbs - we're using both Panko breadcrumbs and Italian breadcrumbs for the best flavor and texture.
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Jar of spaghetti sauce - use your favorite brand or make your own. We love Rao's marinara sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese - freshly grated for best results
- Italian cheese blend
- Cooked al dente pasta (optional)
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
Prepare. In a medium bowl combine the salt, pepper, panko breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Whisk the egg in a separate medium bowl.
Assemble. One at a time, dip the chicken in the egg mix and then the breadcrumbs, making sure to evenly coat both sides. Coat the interior of the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
Cook. Place the breaded chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker in a single layer and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the chicken. Add the spaghetti sauce to the crockpot and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours.
Finish. Top with the Italian cheese and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve over noodles if desired, and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
Here's how to make sure your Crockpot Chicken Parmesan turns out perfect!
- Serve hot. This dish is best served immediately, while the cheese is still bubbly and everything is nice and hot.
- Don't overcook. As with any chicken dish, you want to make sure not to overcook the chicken. It should be cooked through, but still juicy.
- Meat thermometer. Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it is cooked through. The internal temperature should be at 165 degrees F.
Easy Sides for Pairing with Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
If you want to keep things super simple, pair your Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan with roasted Brussels sprouts or a side salad. If you're up for putting in a little more effort, here are some easy side dish ideas that will go well with the flavors in this recipe:
- Steamed broccoli
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Rice pilaf
- Roasted vegetables
- Steamed green beans
- Sauteed spinach
- Caesar salad
If you do not have everything on hand for this recipe, here are some substitutions that will work just fine:
Italian breadcrumbs: You can use regular bread crumbs with a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning added if you do not have Italian breadcrumbs.
Pasta sauce: If you do not have any marinara sauce on hand, try using a can of crushed tomatoes or tomato paste and water with additional Italian seasoning for a quick substitute.
If you want to add even more flavor to this recipe, try adding some of these extras on top of the sauce:
- Cloves of garlic
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
PREP AHEAD OF TIME
This recipe can be prepped ahead of time and then stored in the fridge until you're ready to cook it. To do this, simply follow all of the instructions up until you reach the point where you would add the chicken to the crockpot.
At that point, cover the chicken and breadcrumb mixture and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to cook, proceed with the recipe as usual.
Mozzarella cheese: You can use any type of shredded cheese in this recipe, but mozzarella will give you the classic flavor.
Parmesan cheese: You can use grated cheddar or even cream cheese if you do not have parmesan cheese.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
You can store any leftover chicken parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze chicken parmesan! Just place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and store it for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
When you're ready to eat, just thaw overnight in the fridge, if frozen, and then reheat in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Yes, chicken parmesan and chicken Parmigiana are the same dish. Chicken Parmigiana is the Italian version of the dish, while chicken parmesan is the American version.
The best way to keep chicken parmesan from getting soggy is to make sure that you do not cook it in too much sauce. Chicken parmesan should only be cooked in enough sauce to make the dish flavorful. So stick to the amount of sauce and cook times listed in the cooking instructions, and your cheesy chicken should turn out great!
This slow cooker chicken parmesan recipe does not require flouring the chicken. This recipe uses two types of breadcrumbs instead. Italian breadcrumbs and Panko breadcrumbs. The Panko breadcrumbs give it a nice crispy texture on the outside.
If you notice that your chicken parmesan is a bit watery, there are a few possible reasons. One is that you didn't cook the chicken long enough.
Make sure to cook the chicken until it is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. Another reason could be that you used too much tomato sauce.
Try reducing the amount of tomato sauce next time. Finally, if you're using frozen chicken, thaw it thoroughly before cooking to prevent excess water from leaching out during cooking.
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
Sign up for my email newsletter so you don't miss any recipes.
Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (we like Rao's brand marinara sauce)
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Italian cheese blend
- 1 lb. cooked spaghetti, for serving
- In a medium bowl combine the salt, pepper, panko breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Whisk the egg in a separate medium bowl.
- One at a time, dip the chicken in the egg mix and then the breadcrumbs, making sure to evenly coat both sides.
- Coat the interior of the crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place the breaded chicken into the crock pot and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the chicken.
- Add the spaghetti sauce to the crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Top with the Italian cheese and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve over noodles if desired and enjoy!