These BBQ pineapple chicken foil packets are perfect for any season! The sweet and smoky flavors of the barbecue sauce and pineapple are a match made in heaven. They're simple to make and require minimal ingredients, plus they cook up in no time in your oven or on the grill.
This BBQ Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets recipe is a delicious, easy, and fun way to make dinner! The chicken breasts are cooked in a sweet and smoky barbecue sauce, and the vegetables add a delightful crunch.
Plus, this meal can easily be made ahead of time and reheated. It is a flavorful and healthy meal that can be whipped up anytime. The best part is that the sweet pineapple and the kick of the bbq sauce give this easy dinner an incredible flavor.
These delicious Hawaiian chicken foil packets are the perfect way to get dinner on the table after a busy day. Try this fantastic foil packet dinner tonight!
How do you make a BBQ foil packet?
It's easy! Just mix your ingredients, place them on a piece of foil, and then seal up the packet. Be sure to leave a little space at the top of the packet so that steam can escape while cooking. Then just place your foil packets in the oven and cook until done.
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- BBQ sauce
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic cloves
- Thyme sprigs
- Fresh pineapple slices
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
How to Make BBQ Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets
Prepare. Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a medium bowl, mix together BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
In a large bowl, add chicken breast and 1 cup of the barbecue sauce. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, thyme, pineapple, bell peppers, and onion in another bowl with 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Toss.
Assemble. Prepare 4 large (10-inch long) sheets of foil. Divide vegetables between the foil, leaving a 2-inch border all around.
Place 1 chicken breast on top of each packet. Fold the sides of the foil packets and seal edges.
Cook. Place foil packs on a baking tray and cook in the middle for about 20 minutes.
Finish. Remove and let cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips for Success
Here's how to make sure your BBQ Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets recipe turns out perfect!
- Use a meat thermometer. Check the thickest part of the chicken to ensure it is cooked through. It should reach a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Let it cool. Let the foil packets cool down slightly before opening. This will help to prevent any steam burns.
- Use heavy-duty foil. I like to use sheets of heavy-duty foil for this recipe because it helps prevent any leaks.
Easy Sides for Pairing with BBQ Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets
If you want to keep things super simple, pair your Pineapple BBQ Chicken Foil Packs with white rice or noodles. If you're up for putting in a little more effort, here are some easy side dish ideas that will go well with the flavors in this recipe:
- Corn on the cob
- Potato salad
- Macaroni salad
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to put a new twist on this recipe, here are a few ideas:
- Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Swap out the pineapple for peaches, nectarines, or mangoes.
- Add some heat with a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Use a different type of BBQ sauce, like honey BBQ sauce or Kansas City-style BBQ sauce.
- Stir in a tablespoon of Sriracha hot sauce to the BBQ sauce mixture.
- Use a different type of bell pepper, like yellow or orange.
- Swap out the onion for shallots.
- Omit the thyme and use dried oregano or basil instead.
- Add a couple of dashes of liquid smoke to the BBQ sauce mixture for a smokier flavor.
- Stir in a tablespoon of honey or brown sugar to the pineapple mixture.
- Add in some more veggies like carrots, zucchini, broccoli, or even green onions.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Allow to cool down completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can! Just place the cooled-down leftovers in a ziplock bag. Freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, allow the leftovers to defrost entirely before heating up. Then, reheat in the oven or in a skillet.
Absolutely! You can cook these BBQ pineapple chicken foil packets in the oven. Just preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the foil packets on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Any type of BBQ sauce will do, but we think a spicy barbecue sauce paired with the sweet pineapple's juices in this recipe makes for the ultimate smoky-sweet duo. However, if you are not a fan of bbq sauce, you could try teriyaki sauce instead.
Yes! These delicious foil packets do excellent on the grill, especially on a charcoal grill. Just be sure to flip the foil packets often and check the internal temperature when you're ready to serve.
Yes, you can! Just follow the recipe up until the point of cooking. Then, assemble the foil packets and store them in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. When you're ready to cook, heat up the grill or oven and cook as directed.
No, you can use canned pineapple chunks or even pineapple preserves. If using canned pineapple, make sure to drain the juice before adding it to the packet.
More Chicken Recipes
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
Sign up for my email newsletter so you don't miss any recipes.
Pineapple BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
- 2 cups bbq sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 2 large breasts sliced in half horizontally)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 small pineapple, cut into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together BBQ sauce, salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- In a large bowl, add chicken breast and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce mixture. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, pineapple, bell peppers and onion in another bowl with 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Toss.
- Prepare 4 large (10-inch long) sheets of aluminum foil. Divide vegetables between the foil, leaving 2-inch edges all around. Place 1 chicken breast on top of each. Fold the sides of the foil and sealed packets.
- Place on a baking tray and cook in the middle for about 20 minutes. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Grilling: These delicious foil packets do excellent on the grill, especially on a charcoal grill. Just be sure to flip the foil packets often and check the internal temperature when you're ready to serve.
- Use a meat thermometer: Check the thickest part of the chicken to ensure it is cooked through. It should reach a temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Use heavy-duty foil: I like to use sheets of heavy-duty foil for this recipe because it helps prevent any leaks.