Easy Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini is loaded with tender cheese tortellini in a deliciously creamy and tangy sauce. This pasta dish is made with just a few simple ingredients, and the tortellini cooks up in about 20 minutes so it's perfect for busy weeknights.
If you're looking for a delicious and easy weeknight meal, look no further than this easy creamy tomato tortellini recipe! It's incredibly flavorful and makes a great family meal, especially on busy nights.
The recipe is also versatile, so you can easily adapt it to your own tastes. Also, you only need a single skillet or pot to make this recipe, so it's great for when you want to have fewer dishes to wash after cooking dinner!
Whether you're looking for a quick and easy dinner option or you want something that the whole family will love, this creamy tortellini pasta dish is sure to please.
What kind of sauce goes with tortellini?
There are many different sauces that go well with tortellini, as the type of sauce you choose will depend on your personal taste and the other ingredients in the dish.
Some popular options include marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, and pesto sauce. You could also try a simple tomato and basil sauce or even a light cream sauce made with chicken or vegetable stock.
Ultimately, the best sauce for tortellini is one that complements the flavors of the other ingredients in the dish and enhances the overall taste. You will love the creamy tomato sauce that goes with this creamy spinach tomato tortellini recipe!
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Tortellini - Use your favorite variety of fresh tortellini or frozen packaged tortellini. You can use either fresh or frozen tortellini in this dish. This pasta sauce also tastes fantastic with other types of fresh, filled pasta, such as ravioli and even dried pasta.
- Diced onion - you can use yellow onion or white onion.
- Parmesan - Use either pre-grated parmesan, or grate it yourself.
- Olive oil - This can be replaced with vegetable oil if preferred.
- Diced tomatoes - Use canned tomatoes in this recipe. This helps keep the cooking time nice and quick. You can also use fresh tomatoes if that is what you prefer.
- Baby spinach leaves - Using fresh spinach leaves is our preference although you could use frozen spinach that has been drained and thoroughly squeezed to remove excess water in a pinch.
- All-purpose flour - This helps thicken the sauce so it coats the tortellini perfectly in the silky tomato sauce.
- Heavy cream - This adds creaminess to the sauce, which pairs perfectly with the tomato.
- Garlic cloves - Fresh or jarred garlic is fine for this recipe.
- Herbs - Some dried oregano, dried parsley, and dried basil give a boost of Italian flavor to this dish.
- Dried red pepper flakes - A pinch of the pepper flakes add a little heat to the pasta. This can be omitted if preferred.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make This Tender Tortellini Pasta
Prepare. Cook the tortellini according to packet directions. Drain and set aside.
Cook. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Stir the flour through the onion mixture until well combined. Add the cream, tomatoes, oregano, parsley, basil, and pepper flakes. Stir to combine and simmer until thickened.
Stir through the spinach and ¼ cup of parmesan. Season to taste. Simmer until the spinach wilts.
Finish. Stir through the cooked tortellini. Remove from the heat and divide the tortellini between serving bowls. Sprinkle over the remaining two tablespoons of parmesan.
Tips for Success
Here's how to make sure your tortellini recipe turns out perfect!
- Serving - This pasta is perfect for serving as either a lunch or dinner. It could be served with garlic bread, buttered crusty fresh bread, or a leafy side salad.
- Add protein - Add some protein for a more well-rounded meal. Grilled sliced chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken, ground beef, or Italian sausage can be added to the sauce to make this a meat dish.
- Garnish - Top your tortellini with some strips of fresh basil leaves and additional grated Parmesan cheese.
Easy Sides for Pairing with Creamy Tomato Tortellini with Spinach
If you want to keep things super simple, pair your tortellini recipe with a side salad or garlic bread. If you're up for putting in a little more effort, here are some easy side dish ideas that will go well with the flavors in this recipe:
- Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Parmesan Baked Asparagus
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Olive Garden Salad
- Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Storage & Reheating
Store this pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To reheat the leftovers, place them in a covered saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until the pasta is heated through. You may need to add a little water or cream to loosen it up if it becomes too thick.
Alternatively, you can reheat this dish in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Make sure to stir the pasta halfway through so that it heats evenly.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
This tortellini is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
What can I add to the tortellini if I don't have sauce?
If you don't have any sauce on hand, there are many other ingredients you can add to your tortellini to make a delicious meal. Some options include:
- Sauteed vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, and zucchini
- Sliced cherry tomatoes, either raw or lightly sauteed
- Fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, for added flavor and color
- Grated Parmesan cheese for a creamy and flavorful sauce
- Chopped nuts, such as pine nuts or walnuts, for added texture
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for a simple but flavorful sauce
You could also try mixing and matching different ingredients to create your own unique sauce for the tortellini. Experiment with different flavors and textures to find a combination that you enjoy.
More Pasta Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
Sign up for my email newsletter so you don't miss any recipes.
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Tortellini
- 1 pound fresh or frozen tortellini
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir the flour through the onion mixture until well combined. Add the cream, tomatoes, oregano, parsley, basil and pepper flakes. Stir to combine and simmer until thickened.
- Stir through the spinach and ¼ cup of parmesan. Season to taste. Simmer until the spinach wilts.
- Stir through the cooked tortellini. Remove from the heat and divide the tortellini between serving bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan.
- Use either fresh or frozen tortellini in this dish.
- Use either pre-grated parmesan, or grate it yourself.
- Grilled sliced chicken can be added to the sauce to make this a meat dish.
- This pasta sauce also tastes amazing with other varieties of fresh filled pasta, such as ravioli, and even dried pasta.
Leave a Reply