Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta is a quick, easy, and delicious meal that the entire family will love. This recipe is perfect for game days, busy weeknights, or any time you need a hearty and satisfying meal.
If you're a fan of buffalo chicken wings, you're going to love this pasta dish too. It's got all the flavor of your favorite wings but in a cozy and comforting pasta form!
You can easily customize this dish with your favorite add-ins, and it reheats well so it's great for leftovers. Don't forget to try our helpful tips for making the most of this amazing pasta dish!
What You'll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Buffalo sauce
- Rotini pasta, uncooked
- Cream cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles, optional
- Chopped green onion, optional
How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
Assemble. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Turn on Instant Pot to SAUTE.
Cook. Once the Instant Pot is hot, add the chicken to the bottom of the pot and sauté until cooked through. Turn the Instant Pot off.
In this order, add the chicken broth, milk, buffalo sauce, uncooked pasta, and cream cheese. Do not stir. Place lid on Instant Pot.
Close the pressure valve. Set your Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Then QUICK RELEASE.
Finish. When pressure is released, stir ingredients together. Add shredded cheese and stir until combined.
If you choose, add crumbled blue cheese and green onions to the top of the pasta.
Tips for Success
Here’s how to make sure your Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta turns out perfect!
- Don't over the pasta. Make sure to only cook your pasta until it is just done so that it doesn't get mushy. You want to make sure that you have an al dente consistency.
- Rotisserie chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken in this recipe to save time! Just shred the cooked chicken and add it in at the end.
- Make ahead. This pasta dish reheats well so it's great for meal prep or leftovers. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Add-ins. Feel free to mix things up with this recipe and add your favorite things! Some great additions would be ranch dressing, garlic powder, or even some diced celery.
- Extra buffalo sauce. If you like things extra spicy, feel free to add some extra buffalo sauce to this pasta dish. Frank’s hot sauce is great for this recipes but you can use any hot sauce that you per
Easy Sides for Pairing with Pressure Cooker Buffalo Chicken Pasta
If you want to keep things super simple, pair your Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta with steamed broccoli or garlic bread. If you’re up for putting in a little more effort, here are some easy side dish ideas that will go well with the flavors in this recipe:
- Grilled vegetables
- French fries
- Baked potatoes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Corn on the cob
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover buffalo chicken pasta will last in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months. To reheat, simply microwave until heated through or reheat on the stove over low heat. You may need to add a little water to the pasta if it seems dry.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes! This recipe freezes well. Just store it in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge and then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave the next day when you're ready to eat.
Substitutions and Variations
If you would like to switch things up with this instant pot chicken pasta recipe, here are some great ideas:
- Add vegetables. Mix in some chopped veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
- Make it creamier. For an extra creamy pasta dish, add in ¼ cup of heavy cream along with the chicken broth.
- Add a different cheese. Try substituting the cheddar cheese for pepper jack or mozzarella cheese.
- Try a different protein. You can substitute the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if you wish. If you're not a fan of chicken, try using shrimp, ground beef, or diced tofu instead.
- Make it gluten-free. Use gluten-free pasta and chicken broth to make this dish gluten-free.
- Make it vegan. Use tofu or tempeh in place of the chicken and use plant-based milk and cheese to make this dish vegan.
What to do with Leftover Buffalo Sauce
If you have any buffalo sauce leftover from this recipe, here are some great ideas for how to use it up:
- Add it to scrambled eggs
- Use it as a sandwich spread
- Mix it into ground beef for burgers
- Dip celery or carrots in it
- Add it to mac and cheese
- Drizzle it over roasted vegetables
No, this pasta dish is not super spicy. The buffalo sauce gives it a little bit of a kick but it's not too spicy. If you like things extra spicy, feel free to add some extra buffalo sauce to the dish.
Yes! You can use any type of pasta that you like in this recipe. Try cavatappi, penne or even whole wheat pasta if you like. Just keep in mind that the cooking time may need to be adjusted depending on the type of pasta you use.
If you've never had buffalo chicken before, it's basically chicken that's been coated in a hot sauce made with vinegar, cayenne pepper, or other spices. The sauce is usually quite spicy, but the amount of spice can vary depending on the brand of sauce that you use.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.
Sign up for my email newsletter so you don't miss any recipes.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- 8 ounces rotini pasta, uncooked
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bleu cheese crumbles (optional)
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Turn on Instant Pot to SAUTE. Once the Instant Pot is hot, add the chicken and sauté until cooked through. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, buffalo sauce, pasta, and cream cheese in that order. Do not stir. Place lid on Instant Pot. Close the pressure valve. PRESSURE on high for 5 minutes. Then QUICK RELEASE.
- When pressure is released, stir ingredients together. Add shredded cheese and stir until combined. If you choose, top with crumbled blue cheese and green onions.